Quiz: Using the dictionary
0 of 1 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 1 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Complete the notes below.
Finding new words in a dictionary can be difficult. Sometimes you hear the word, but you don’t see it. You may not know how to spell it. This can make it difficult to look up words. Try these ideas to help you.
• Sound out the word and write it down as you it.
• Think about other spellings of the sounds. For example, imagine the word character. The sound / / can be k, c, ch, or even qu.
• Watch out for letters. You won’t find occasion under words beginning oca.
• If you can guess the meaning of the word, look up a in the dictionary. You may find the word in the definition.
• If you have a computer, type the word as you hear it and then use the spell-check function. The computer may correct it for you. Note: Some words have “ .” For example, the k in knowledge and the I in folk.